Theatre and event communities across the state have rejoiced after the announcement on Friday that Tasmania would soon be adopting a 100 per cent seating capacity in theatres and sporting venues.
The announcement from Premier Peter Gutwein on capacity follows both the Princess Theatre, in Launceston, and the Theatre Royal, in Hobart, being granted 100 per cent seating capacity.
Theatre Council of Tasmania president Petr Divis said he was thrilled health advice had led to the increase of theatre capacity.
"It's a win for everyone," he said.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Encore Theatre Company co-founder Belinda King echoed Mr Divis' sentiment and was elated about the decision.
"[I am] thrilled for our team who have been patient beyond words," she said.
"First things first, we need to get back on our feet with Mamma Mia and hopefully go some way towards recovering from last year's shut down.
"[But] on the whole, we feel extremely positive about our future and what theatre can look like again in Tasmania."
Ms King said there would be a number of risk mitigation factors in play still and they would most likely include staggered arrival times, row by row departure, and hand sanitiser.
However, she confirmed face masks would not be required once the change was made.
Tasmania actor and producer John Xintavelonis, better known as John X, said it was fantastic audiences would not have to wear a mask.
"We knew that a lot of audiences weren't happy about masks," he said.
Mr Xintavelonis said he was elated and relieved theatre capacity would return to 100 per cent, with plenty of shows already in the works after discussions over the last two days.
"[The decision] is a lifesaver for our industry."
Visit Northern Tasmania's chief executive Chris Griffin agreed and said going back to full capacity allowed the events community the best possible chance at being profitable.
City of Launceston acting mayor Danny Gibson also welcomed the capacity increase, and said the decision would have a positive impact on both the art and sporting sectors in the city.
"The Council certainly welcomes this announcement and looks forward to its implementation in our council-owned Princess Theatre and for our major sporting events such as AFL and A League soccer at UTAS Stadium," Councillor Gibson said.
The capacity change is expected to be implemented by early May.
The change affects indoor and outdoor seating for theatre and sporting venues.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.