Jarrod Freeman says he'll learn plenty from bowling to some of Australia's best batsmen in his Sheffield Shield return last week.
Representing Tasmania for the first time since October 2019, Freeman took two first-innings wickets and made scores of 24 and 38 in a three-wicket loss to Queensland.
In the process, the 20-year-old off-spinner had the "unreal" experience of going head-to-head with Marnus Labuschagne and Usman Khawaja - arguably Australia's most successful Test number threes since fellow ex-Mowbray star Ricky Ponting.
"It was an unbelievable experience, I'll take a fair bit away from that," Freeman said.
"I know what I can improve on in that aspect, but bowling to people like Usman who's got a first-class hundred in Asia against spin bowling and Marnus [who's] number three in the world - that's priceless."
Freeman finished the contest with 2-30 and 0-46 on a Bellerive wicket that saw just three wickets fall to spin bowling.
He also contributed with the bat as a second-innings score of 38 helped the Tigers post 252 and set the Bulls a fourth-day chase of 300-plus.
The former under-19 world cup representative looked assured at the crease, hitting eight fours before a freak diving catch from Bryce Street ended hope of a maiden domestic half-century.
MORE SPORT: Birthday boy fires for Westbury
"It was my first game in a couple of years now - it was my first game down in Hobart and I'm obviously from down here [Tasmania] so I really enjoyed it," he said.
"There was enough there [in the wicket] for me - unfortunately I was a little bit full in the second innings, but I felt like when when I put it in the right areas there was enough there for me.
"It just showed in the first innings that I was able to get a couple of poles.
"I'm happy just to contribute where I can with the bat - any runs I get is a positive and it was good to get a few partnerships and get that lead over 300 to really give us something to bowl at."
Freeman was left out of Tasmania's one-day loss to Queensland on Monday, but is hopeful of keeping his spot for a four-day clash with Victoria staring March 5.
Facebook has banned news from its platform. You can read our response here.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: