Tasmania is set to miss out on hosting the national netball championships for the second year running.
Netball Australia made the decision to cancel the event on Tuesday afternoon as states and territories across the country look to nip another wave of coronavirus in the bud.
The July 6-11 event, which was set to to see 16 under-17 and under-19 teams lock horns in Hobart, was also cancelled last year due to a coronavirus outbreak.
Netball Tasmania said the decision to cancel this year's event was not made lightly, and stressed that it would work with Netball Australia to "explore alternate options".
RELATED: 2020 netball championships cancelled
Chief executive Aaron Pidgeon paid tribute to the hard work that had been put in to preparing the event, only for it to be called off once more.
'We're obviously very disappointed that the championships can't proceed," Pidgeon said.
"But we can't let that disappointment cloud our judgment in relation to what is in the best interest of the health and wellbeing of participants and the community.
"The re-emergence of COVID-19 nationally has presented some challenging considerations over the past week, and the instability and uncertainty of the current environment has led to cancellation being the appropriate course of action.
"We're devastated for the participants, and we acknowledge that their disappointment is no doubt compounded by the fact that the event has been cancelled for the second consecutive year.
"Despite the events of the past 18 months, we also remain firmly committed to delivering a national championship in Hobart in the near future and showcasing the best young netball talent in Australia.
"Netball Tasmania remains committed to the development of our participants, and the provision of appropriate pathways to elite competition."
Netball Australia executive member Tracey West said: "I'd like to thank Netball Tasmania, who have worked so hard to deliver an exceptional event experience, only to have the event cancelled for a second consecutive year."
KNOW A JUNIOR SPORT STAR?
Do you know someone who is contributing to Northern Tasmanian sport, whether through participating or assisting?
The Examiner's Junior Sports Awards, sponsored by Woolworths, provide acknowledgement of accomplishments by players, coaches, volunteers, teams and clubs across the region.
Nominations are open from Wednesday, April 14, and will close at midnight on October 4.
Entries must include a photograph of the entrant.