The NTFA's return date remains no clearer as the association continues to weigh up the pros and cons of a 2020 season.
Speaking to assorted media on Friday, association president Scott Rigby said a decision is closer than this time last week but was unable to provide a specific timeline.
"We are getting close and I think that AFL Tasmania would say the same thing," Rigby said.
"We are actually getting closer because we've been working so closely with each other to be able to make an informed decision and not a rushed decision on the benefits of playing and not playing in 2020."
Following a presidents' meeting on Monday night, the NTFA's leader has spoken with all 19 clubs individually, asking each committee to come up with a detailed list of pros and cons.
He said the responses varied, with each club having different thoughts about how a season should look.
"All of our clubs are completely different and are at different stages of thinking regarding getting football back on the park this year.
"Our clubs are made up of big committees and little committees and they are all volunteers, so as a governing body, we've got to take that into consideration because what we don't want is one club being disadvantaged for the sake of others.
"That's the beauty and the difference of our competition."
With outdoor sport penciled in for a July 13 return in the state government's rebuild of Tasmania, there was a glimmer of hope that the league could return to normality in the near future.
Under that model, games would feature no crowds, with only players and coaches able to attend matches.
Rigby said that playing without a crowd had definitely been a key topic in conversations, but denied it was possible.
"We all know that's one of the factors where economically it is a factor. That is one of the considerations because at the moment we can't have any crowds over 100 as of July 13 and that does include coaches, officials and players.
"So you could imagine it doesn't allow for very many spectators to come through the door. Economically, it is a huge consideration that we need to take into account, so at this point in time, I can safely say no [the season won't go ahead without a crowd].
Admitting that the delayed decision on the season's future is causing a lot of angst and anxiety amongst the NTFA's community, Rigby said the conversations he has had with several of his league's players have been positive.
ELSEWHERE IN SPORT: Taming the Lion inside of Littlejohn
"I've talked to a few players individually and you get a mixed bag. Without footy, it's not normal for them to be able to get on with their daily lives and the rest of it, so they've had to change things up a little.
"A lot of them have had to find work on a Saturday because they've lost work during the week, so their jobs have changed, their economic status themselves have changed - they may do a lot more work for themselves instead of working for someone.
"Some of them have lost their jobs so there's a big impact on the playing group but the people I speak to and I can only talk about the people I speak to, it's a 50-50 split because we have that factor but 50 percent of them will play footy no matter what the case and all of them want to play footy in some form this year or next.
"Overwhelmingly they want what's best for football in the North."
With the national return to play framework released last week, Rigby believes the NTFA is in line with other leagues around the state in regards to setting a timeline to get back on the field.