A set of vigilante-style social media posts by two amateur news pages targeting Spirit of Tasmania passengers have stirred up community outrage, catching at least one innocent victim in the crossfire.
Somerset's Kate Hawley, a university student studying in South Australia, was "frustrated" and "upset" to find pictures of her number plates had been posted on pages with more than 100,000 followers between them.
The 21-year-old said she had returned to Somerset via the Spirit after the job she had found to support herself while living out of home for university was cut short by the federal government's restrictions on Monday.
"I bought the ticket for as soon as I could and hopped on the Spirit and everything was fine," she said.
"I knew I would have to isolate, but I decided to come home and be with my family, I'm really young and I can't afford to stay there (SA) if I'm not working."
She said when she had driven off the ferry she had felt confronted by the presence of "quite a few" people with cameras, photographing the passengers as they got off.
"We were put into two lines getting off, and if you had interstate plates you had to give them proof of the address you were going to and then go straight there," she said.
"I went straight home ... and then my friend messaged me the post saying, 'is this your car?' and it was."
Ms Hawey said she had sent a message to one of the pages but was blocked from messaging or commenting on the post.
"My family commented for me saying, 'you don't know the situation, you don't know where they're from'," she said.
"I did see one guy who said he was going to screenshot all of these and then if (he) sees them on the road (he'll) abuse them, so I was a bit worried, but I'll be home so that's ok.
"I just want them taken down, just the fact that they've breached people's privacy.
"We should all be supporting each other during this time, not spreading hate messages."
CLARIFICATION ON PORTS
Meanwhile the Tasmanian government has responded on Thursday to multiple reports of tourists stuck in Tasmania waiting for the Spirit, and others getting off and not isolating.
Premier Peter Gutwein said TT Line, biosecurity and the police were enforcing the 14 day self-isolation requirements on all non-essential travellers.
"I have directed TT-Line to prioritise its bookings to ensure that only Tasmanians returning, freight and those travellers who have met essential traveller or exemption criteria, are able to travel," he said.
"Any non- essential travellers, including Tasmanians, who do return will be subject to the 14 day self-isolation period as is currently the case."
He said caravans and motorhomes did not meet the self-isolation rules.
"TT Line will also contact all mainland caravan and motorhome bookings and advise them that if they don't have a permanent address in Tasmania, they will not meet the self-isolation rules," he said.
"Full refunds are being provided for all cancellations and no amendment fees are being charged."
He also announced an extension for visitors to vacate caravan parks.
"With the necessary measures to close commercial accommodation including our Caravan Parks and Camping grounds we have recognised that there has been some difficulty for visitors in Campervans and Motorhomes in particular to organise travel back to the mainland," he said.
"TT Line have scheduled additional day sailings and have increased the capacity on the vessel to assist with getting people home with additional sailings next week.
"The current restriction on our Caravan Parks for visitors to vacate this Sunday has been extended until Wednesday 1st of April 2020.."