The Northern Midlands Council is taking precautions such as shutting public pools and other facilities during the coronavirus pandemic but will continue with its April meeting.
Mayor Mary Knowles said at this stage the April council meeting would go ahead but the council would be mindful of all health directions.
"The Northern Midlands Council is taking these measures so that we support government efforts to manage the risk and spread of COVID-19 whilst maintaining essential services," she said.
Coronavirus: All the latest updates on COVID-19 for Tasmania
"The situation is changing rapidly and we encourage our residents to familiarise themselves with the advice provided by the Tasmanian Department of Health, follow directives and take the necessary precautions.
"We appreciate the support of our community during this time of unprecedented uncertainty and urge you to exercise restraint and compassion in these trying times."
Measures introduced include:
- Council managed buildings, swimming pools and information centres are closed to the public
- The meeting rooms at the Council offices in Smith Street, Longford will be closed to the public for meetings until further notice
- Council operated child care facilities at Perth Early Learning Centre, Cressy and Avoca will continue to operate as usual until further notice
Council buildings and facilities that are managed by committees or privately leased:
- Sports facility clubrooms, caravan parks, libraries (Ross, Longford & Campbell Town), Longford Community Sports Centre, Falls Park, Campbell Town & District Men's Shed etc are the responsibility of the management committee, business operator or lessee to manage in regard to the pandemic. These operators should provide separate advice as to their day to day operations and any possible closures.
IN OTHER NEWS:
In addition, council has:
- Suspended all non-essential capital works where possible. Only emergency maintenance and essential services are to be maintained
- Animal Control Officers will fulfill normal duties responding to dogs wandering and dog attacks until further notice
- Cancelled all non-essential meetings, programs and events including Youth Services, Local District Committees and special committees of council
- Some public toilet facilities have been temporarily closed, to facilitate more frequent and thorough cleaning at those facilities that remain open