A call by the state's peak tourism body for emergency funding to be provided to Tasmanian tourism operators impacted by coronavirus has been criticised by the Greens.
The Tourism Industry Council of Tasmania on Thursday endorsed the call of the Australian Tourism Industry Council for the Federal government to extend similar emergency funding provided to business impacted by the recent bushfires to tourism operators affected by coronavirus.
A ban on Chinese visitors into Australia was extended last week drastically impacting a small number of Tasmanian businesses reliant on the Chinese visitor market.
But Greens leader Cassy O'Connor said there was no justification for a publicly funded bailout of private business operators.
"While the Greens recognise the current downturn is hurting some tourism operators, we can't support a taxpayer bailout," Ms O'Connor said.
"It is a fact that the industry is already heavily supported by government through a multi-million dollar tourism marketing budget that supports the profits of local tourism businesses."
TICT chief executive Luke Martin said the current situation facing operators was unprecedented.
"We've never seen a travel ban quite like this where it's uncertain how long it will go for," Mr Martin said.
"The small number of operators who specialise in the Chinese market lost their entire business overnight."
Mr Martin said the industry was not seeking to bail out impacted businesses.
"The industry is not calling on any support from the state government," he said.
"The industry nationally has simply called for the business support being given to operators in some parts of the country impacted by the fires to also be made available to operators hit by coronavirus.
"This includes ability for businesses to delay BAS statements until cash flow improves, as well as low-interests loans, and small grants for businesses that are not able to access business continuity insurance."
In other news:
Assistant Minister for Regional Tourism and Tasmanian Liberal senator Jonathon Duniam said there was no silver bullet to ease the pain being felt by some tourism businesses at present.
"It's important that government and industry work cooperatively and to this end I will always work with the TICT and business operators on suggestions they may have," Senator Duniam said.
"While we have begun planning for when travel restrictions are lifted, the Morrison government is also pushing ahead with implementing our unprecedented $76 million injection to boost tourism activity, while looking to recalibrate any measures within our already record tourism budget."
Premier Peter Gutwein said 10 to 12 businesses impacted by coronavirus had reached out the Department of State Growth for advice through a hotline set up as a result of the outbreak.
"I understand State Growth is in touch with those businesses and we are working with them to understand their needs to make sure we can keep them in business while we work through this particular challenge," Mr Gutwein said.
The Business Tasmania team can be contacted on 1800 440 026.