There are no plans at this stage to introduce a ban on mobile phones in Tasmania's schools but the state's parent body has urged action on the divisive issue.
Tasmanian Association of State School Organisations president Nigel Jones said mobile phones "had no place in primary schools" and urged the state government to look to Victoria's lead, which announced a ban.
"There are numerous places all over the world who have put bans in place and are seeing results, in both behaviour and academic performance," Mr Jones said.
From term one 2020, Victorian students will have to switch off their phones and store them in lockers until the final bell, Victorian Education Minister James Merlino has announced.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Under the new rules, exceptions will only be granted to students who use their phones to monitor health conditions, or where teachers instruct students to bring their phone for a particular classroom activity.
The move follows a six-month inquiry in New South Wales, lead by prominent child psychologist Michael Car-Gregg, which also advocated for mobile phone bans in primary schools.
However, the Tasmanian Education Department does not have any similar moves on its agenda.
"The Education Department is currently considering a NSW smartphone use in the classroom report and the recommendations, including how they interact with existing Department of Education policies and strategies such as the Child and Student Wellbeing Strategy," a spokesman said.
"Importantly, any proposed changes to policy would need to develop in close consultation with schools and their communities to ensure it meets their specific needs."
Tasmania has a Bring Your Own Device (BOYD) policy that it advocates in schools in close consultation with the School Association.
However, some schools have acted to impose their own bans, as The Examiner's readers shared on social media on Wednesday.
Angela Bainbridge, of Launceston, said her daughter's school only allowed mobile phones during break times and have to put them in lockers at all other times and Sarah Casey said her children's school had already banned phones on school grounds.
Labor Education spokesman Josh Willie said he believed the Education Department had been "hands-off" on the issue and would like to see a further investigation.
"The Labor Party is concerned about bullying and the mental health of our young people in schools and we think a ban on mobile phones is worthy of consideration," he said.
"However, that being said, any consideration would need to be in full consultation of the school community."