Primary Industries Minister Guy Barnett says the discovery of fruit fly larvae in imported nectarines does not affect the state’s reinstated pest free status.
A Launceston shopper discovered the single fruit fly larvae in nectarines imported from Victoria on Thursday, one day after fruit fly control zones were lifted in the North and North-West.
It is the second time that fruit fly larvae has been discovered in fruit imported from Victoria.
Mr Barnett said the government was disappointed that the fumigation in Victoria had failed once again.
“I have written to the Victorian Minister yesterday [Friday] and Biosecurity Tasmania are sending officers to Victoria to investigate how fumigation has failed again,” he said.
“We have a robust biosecurity system and are investing more to make it even stronger.”
Labor Primary Industries, Fisheries and Water spokesman Shane Broad said there needed to be a thorough investigation into protocols at the treatment facility in Victoria.
“It is concerning that the fumigation chamber at the centre of last year’s outbreak has again failed,” he said.
“After that outbreak, protocols were said to have been strengthened yet fruit fly larvae has again slipped through the net which again put Tasmanian fruit growers at risk.
“The real positive is that the community is doing a fantastic job in remaining vigilant and I urge the public to report any signs of fruit fly to authorities.”
Suspected fruit fly reports can be made to Biosecurity Tasmania via the Fruit Fly Hotline on (03) 6165 3774.