A 65-year-old man used two weapons to defend his Somerset property against trespassing teenagers in November 2018, a court was told Monday.
John William Milligan is charged with three firearms offences, including recklessly firing a gun, for the incident, which defence lawyer Julia Ker characterised in opening statements as self-defence.
In opening statements Crown prosecutor Katie Edwards told the court the teenagers were using a thoroughfare across Milligan's land which was commonly used by residents of the area.
However, she said they had been told by Mr Milligan multiple times in the past to not enter his land.
When they again used the thoroughfare on November 4, Mr Milligan fired on them with a gel blaster styled to look like an M4 assault rifle.
Ms Edwards said the teens then advanced towards Mr Milligan and in CCTV footage shown to the jury they can be seen entering his porch with what appeared to be baseball bats.
The jury heard Mr Milligan then loaded a real .22 calibre rifle and fired a shot through his own kitchen window, smashing it and causing the teenagers to leave the area.
"No doubt there was an incident at Mr Milligan's home on November 4, 2018," Ms Ker said in her opening reply.
"No doubt Mr Milligan discharged a firearm."
She said the issue for the jury to determine was whether Mr Milligan did in fact act in self-defence.
"Whether it was lawful in the circumstances presented to him at the time for Mr Milligan to defend himself, and to defend his property."
Ms Ker said that the teenagers had been asked multiple times to not enter his property and "when they were confronted about doing so again, they have reacted in a way that was violent and aggressive".
On Monday afternoon the jury was shown footage of the incident from three separate security cameras on Mr Milligan's property.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.