Tasmania's Commissions of Inquiry into the Responses of Tasmanian Government Institutions to Child Sexual Abuse is now expected to commence in March.
It comes as new claims of alleged abuse carried out by a nurse at the Launceston General Hospital in the late 1980s were aired in the latest episode of independent journalist Camille Bianchi's podcast The Nurse.
Last year Bianchi revealed the alleged crimes of James Geoffrey Griffin, accused of being a serial predator who targeted children while he we worked at the LGH for close to two decades.
Griffin died in 2019, aged 69, after police charged him with numerous offences relating to the abuse of children.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Now, allegations against a second nurse have been made by 44-year-old Ben Felton, who claims he was abused when he was 13, after being admitted to the LGH paediatric ward with pneumonia.
When asked about the allegations on Tuesday, Premier Peter Gutwein said the government was moving forward with the inquiry to ensure the "safest system possible" for Tasmanian children.
"Firstly, can I just say that it is brave that he has brought these matters forward. But in terms of these matters, the one thing I am certain is that all of the brave victims that have raised these matters want to be assured of, is that the government does not engage in discussion about matters that might ultimately prejudice justice being served," he said.
The state's nurses union has condemned the latest claims. Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation Tasmania branch secretary Emily Shepherd said they were dismayed by the news.
"The ANMF were not aware of these allegations when they were made 31 years ago. However, we support Ben and any individual in raising any instances of abuse or inappropriate conduct with Tasmania Police," she said.
"ANMF members on Ward 4K have been instrumental in having the Commissions of Inquiry established to examine child sexual abuse at the Launceston General Hospital and other Government institutions.
"Members believe that the Commissions of Inquiry will identify any gaps in the system that need to be rectified urgently to improve safety in government-run health facilities."
Labor's Sarah Lovell said the latest allegations demonstrated more secrecy from the government.
"There is already an unacceptable level of secrecy surrounding the 13 people who to date have been stood down in the public sector, pending further investigation into abuse claims," she said.
"The Premier, Peter Gutwein, and his ministers have not adequately explained why they are refusing to release details of the agencies accused individuals worked in.
"These latest allegations underline the need for full transparency in relation to the Commissions of Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, and for appropriate supports to be put in place for those people making submissions and giving evidence."
Last month Attorney-General Elise Archer announced the appointment of Marcia Neave AO as president of the Commissions of Inquiry.
On Tuesday, Ms Archer confirmed the inquiry was now expected to commence in March.
To date, the government has stood-down 13 public sector employees for sexual abuse or misconduct claims.
National sexual assault support: 1800 RESPECT, Laurel House (03) 6334 2740 (Launceston), (03) 6431 9711 (Burnie and Devonport), Sexual Assault Support Service (SASS) on 1800 697 877.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.