A class action investigation has been launched against the Tasmanian Health Service in response to child sex allegations against former paediatric nurse James Griffin.
Mr Griffin was named on Tuesday as the man who was charged in October 2019 with extensive child sexual abuse and molestation offences across Launceston.
The investigation will be undertaken by law firm Arnold Thomas and Becker, the same firm who filed a class action against hotel quarantine security firms in Melbourne.
The firm said it already represents a number of Tasmanians who have suffered abuse in government facilities across the state.
Lawyer from the firm Kim Price said people had been coming forward to them before Mr Griffin was named.
For a class action to go ahead seven people need to come forward with accusations of a similar nature and be willing to proceed as a group.
"The first step is to find a lead plaintiff and then get the numbers which I think is very, very likely," Mr Price said.
"It will be alleged that Tasmanian Health Service breached its duty of care because the abuse taking place in its facilities, despite policies, laws and regulations put in place to prevent it."
A spokesperson for the Department of Health said, "it would not be appropriate to comment on legal matters".
Mr Price said a class action could be filed in the Supreme Court in Hobart early next year.
Arnold Thomas and Becker said they had been active in Tasmania for some months and had been hearing about abuse cases in hospital.
In 2018 Tasmania abolished the limitation period for claims arising from child abuse and as a result there is no time limit for survivors to take legal action.
National sexual assault support: 1800 RESPECT, Laurel House (03) 6334 2740 (Launceston), (03) 6431 9711 (Burnie and Devonport), Sexual Assault Support Service (SASS) on 1800 697 877.
What do you think? Send us a letter to the editor: