One man has died and another is being treated for smoke inhalation after a fire at the May Shaw Nursing Home in Swansea this morning.
Police now believe the fire could have started by a cigarette left on the deceased man's mattress.
The man treated for smoke inhalation occupied the room next door.
Police and the Tasmanian Fire Service were called to the Wellington Street nursing home just after 7.30 am.
The fire was contained to one room.
Forensics and CIB detectives are now investigating the scene.
Police are still trying to contact the deceased man's family.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.