A Launceston man who fled the state after he robbed a teenager more than a decade ago is being assessed to see whether he's suitable for a home detention order.
Patrick Curbishley, also known as Patrick McDonald, 34, was in the company of another man in November 2009 when the pair robbed a 17-year-old man in Rocherlea.
Coronavirus: All the latest updates on COVID-19 for Tasmania
The other man held a knife to the teenage victim's throat and the pair demanded money, the Launceston Supreme Court heard.
Curbishley ransacked the teenager's house and stole an Xbox.
Cigarettes, two firearms, 20 knives, 15 Xbox games and $360 in cash was taken from the teenager's home.
Police apprehended Curbishley four days later and a court granted him bail.
Curbishley went to Victoria in 2011 and returned to Tasmania last year to attend his aunty's funeral.
Police apprehended him again and he has been remanded in custody since.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Curbishley has pleaded guilty to taking part in an aggravated armed robbery and he appeared in court on Friday.
Defence counsel Mark Doyle told the court Curbishley intended to hand himself in when he came back to Tasmania for the funeral.
Mr Doyle said Curbishley suffered a horrific upbringing and was physically, sexually and emotionally abused as a child.
"From a young age, and on an ongoing basis, he's used illicit substances as a coping and avoidance mechanism," Mr Doyle said of Curbishley.
"He attended the residence not intending to commit [the robbery], it was not planned."
Mr Doyle said after drug addiction claimed the life of Curbishley's sister in 2016, Curbishley realised he had to turn his life around.
"He says he's been drug free now for an extended period of time," Mr Doyle said.
Justice Robert Pearce ordered for Curbishley to be assessed to see if he was eligible for a home detention order. The case returns to court on May 4.