Spirit of Tasmania crew members have returned a negative test result after a close contact tested positive to COVID-19 last night.
The positive case was a TT-Line contractor and was detected in Melbourne, leading to the crew members being removed from the ship yesterday and placed into hotel quarantine before being tested.
Premier Peter Gutwein said on Saturday the 11 primary close contacts would remain in quarantine for 14 days and would undertake additional tests.
Mr Gutwein said he was pleased that TT-Line and Tasmanian Public Health had worked quickly to ensure the risk of COVID-19 entering Tasmania was minimised.
"You just need to look at what is happening in NSW and Victoria," he said
"If Delta [variant] gets loose here, people will die."
With the crew members in isolation, Friday night sailings departing from Devonport and Melbourne had to be postponed, and those onboard the ship were given the option of remaining in their rooms, or disembarking.
TT-Line chief executive Bernard Dwyer confirmed that about 150 passengers had been affected by cancellation of the sailings.
"I want to thank passengers for their patience and crew members for their cooperation," he said.
Tasmania's Deputy Director of Public Health Dr Julie Graham maintained there was no risk to the passengers booked on that sailing.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.