The smouldering remains of a cigarette butt almost proved lethal when they caught alight at a George Town home in the early hours of Monday morning.
After simmering through the night the butt caused the bin it was thrown in to catch alight, igniting a small fire on the back porch of the Mary Street house.
Tasmania Fire Service were alerted to the blaze about 6.45am when the occupants of the house noticed the glow of the fire before evacuated the house and calling emergency services.
One of the occupants was treated for mild smoke inhalation, but no other injuries were reported.
The George Town fire crew was the first to arrive at the blaze, and Acting Station Officer Roger Brown said it was quickly brought under control and damage to the main house was prevented.
"The occupant of the house had the presence of mind to close the doors from the porch to the main house which helped reduce the spread of the fire and smoke damage," he said.
Despite the fire being prevented from causing serious damage, Acting Station Officer Brown said it was important cigarette butts were "fully extinguished before disposing of them" and to "never dispose of them in a flammable container".
A spokesperson for TFS said the damage bill for the fire amounted to $40,000.
Firefighters have been battling a fire burning through a George Town building this morning.
Emergency services responded to reports of the fire about 6.45am on Monday.
A Tasmania Fire Service spokesperson said the rear of the Mary Street building was alight in flames.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: