A bypass to reduce traffic in Launceston and the duplication of a major highway are among a list of projects Labor has called on the Tasmanian Government to fast track or fund, but the party's leader Rebecca White could not provide details about how the projects would be funded.
Ms White released Labor's alternative COVID-19 recovery package on Sunday.
Initiatives Labor suggested should be fast tracked or funded as part of the package included a Launceston eastern bypass, West Tamar Highway duplication, addition of new overtaking lanes on the Tasman Highway, construction of 490 affordable homes and a one-off winter payment to people pay power bills.
IN OTHER NEWS:
When asked if a price tag could be put on Labor's recovery package, Ms White said it was a document for the Premier's Economic and Social Recovery Council to consider.
"This package is designed to get people into jobs, help those hardest hit by the pandemic and create a better state for everyone," she said.
"We need to rebuild a sustainable state budget position to ensure we can deliver the highest quality government services in health, education, housing, our parks and beyond."
Finance Minister Michael Ferguson said the government would be "happy to look at a range of proposals" Labor put forward.
Mr Ferguson said a $3.7 billion infrastructure plan would help people gain or maintain employment.
"We're doing what we believe is prudent and we are fast tracking a whole range of projects," he said
"It has taken Labor four months to prepare a glossy brochure of uncosted grab-bag projects. They can't be believed or taken seriously at least until they provide their costings and how they would pay."
Northern Tasmania projects Labor wants funded or fast tracked
- Launceston eastern bypass
- Tasman Highway overtaking lanes
- Launceston Private Hospital co-location and Launceston Health Precinct
- West Tamar Highway duplication
- Continuation of Golconda Road upgrade
- Charles Street Bridge in Launceston
- Reconstruct and seal Palana Road, Flinders Island
- Campbell Town underpass
- Dalrymple Road upgrade and bridge replacement, George Town
- Coles Bay water and sewerage upgrade
- Tamar River health projects
- Launceston City Council City Heart project
- Bass Highway upgrade - Meander Valley
- Victoria Street Scottsdale upgrade
- Queechy School upgrade of gym and F Block