Three of the five acting judges appointed to help ease the state’s significant case backlog have been re-appointed.
The five judges were employed on two-year terms in February 2017, with all their contracts due to end this month.
On Tuesday, Attorney-General Elise Archer announced acting judges Brian Martin, David Porter and Shane Marshall had been re-appointed for another two years.
“This decision was made following discussions with the Chief Justice on the needs of the Supreme Court moving forward, as well as consultation with legal stakeholders in line with the Protocol for Judicial Appointments,” Ms Archer said.
The Attorney-General thanked Pierre Slicer and Bernard Bongiorno for their service to the state’s Supreme Court over the past two years.
In the court’s 2017-18 annual report, Supreme Court Chief Justice Alan Blow said the court could have made more use of the acting judges and disposed of more criminal trials if both the Tasmanian Director of Public Prosecutions and the Legal Aid Commission had greater resources and there been able to bring more matters to trial.
The number of pending cases in the Supreme Court that are more than 12 months old increased by 35 per cent from 2017 to 2018.