While Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein is still searching for an answer on whether Perth will host the fifth Ashes Test, he believes Hobart is now the front runner.
With the Cricket Australia board meeting on Friday, Gutwein received "strong mail" that the state could break new sporting ground.
"We just need Cricket Australia to act in the best interests of the country, make history, and award us the Test," he said.
"Even the Western Australian Premier and the Lord Mayor of Perth have conceded they can't hold it and there's no value in allowing two Tests in the same State as that will just cannibalise the market.
"Tasmania stands ready to host the match, whether the preference is for a day match or a day-night match - we can easily accommodate either option.
"It's only a little over five weeks away to the match - let's provide certainty so that all arrangements can be locked in and importantly we can start selling tickets."
Speaking earlier in the day at his COVID-19 conference, Gutwein was hopeful of bringing the world's most passionate cricket fans to Hobart.
"The biggest travelling show in the world is the Ashes Test series, the biggest travelling circus in the world is the Barmy Army and I would like to see both of them here in Tasmania in January," he said.
The fifth Ashes Test is scheduled for January 14-18.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.