On November 25, 1891 the largest event ever held in Tasmania at that time was officially opened, this month marking its 130th anniversary.
The Tasmanian Exhibition was a mammoth undertaking by the young city of Launceston and over 243,000 people attended between November 25, 1891 and March 22, 1892.
This was at a time when Launceston's population was less than 18,000.
It was held in specially-erected annexes across most of City Park and the Albert Hall was built as part of the project.
The opening of the Exhibition was the cause of great celebration in the town. The day had been declared a holiday.
The city's buildings were decorated with flags and bunting as were ships in port.
People had come into the city by train to be part of the event and joined locals to line the streets, wave flags, shout encouragement and enjoy the procession.
The procession gathered in Market Square, later Cornwall Square.
There were 57 societies and businesses represented and about 2850 people took part. Horse-drawn floats carried displays and there were six silver bands.
The Phoenix Ironworks entry included a pair of 45ft iron girders made for the Tasmanian government turntable at Zeehan; six horses pulled that wagon. Many tradesmen demonstrated their skills as they passed.
A float featuring the ancient Order of Druids from Britain carried stones representing Stonehenge.
The procession set off up St John Street to Paterson, into Wellington as far as Frankland, returning by way of Charles, through Cameron to Tamar Street where it came to a halt outside the main entrance of the Albert Hall.
A guard of honour was arranged along Tamar Street, in front of the hall.
A salute of 17 guns was fired from Windmill Hill at 11.45am as the Governor of Tasmania, Sir Robert Hamilton, the Governor of Victoria, Lord Hopetoun, their wives, and others in the vice-regal party left Struan House in Cameron Street.
Struan House had been deemed the vice-regal residence in Launceston for the duration of the Exhibition.
About 2000 people were inside the Albert Hall when the official party arrived. Guests included politicians, business owners and season ticket holders.
The dais was set up against the eastern wall of the hall, opposite the entrance off Tamar Street. The hall was brightly decorated with flags of many countries.
The orchestra played national anthems of the countries represented including LaMarseillaise and the Austrian Hymn. The choir of over 100 men and women had been rehearsing for months and sang the Hallelujah Chorus.
Sir Robert Hamilton formally opened the Exhibition buildings with a silver key made for the occasion by F & W Stewart.
At 3pm the mayor's banquet for 240 gentlemen took place at the Mechanics' Institute.
That evening, a constant stream of people filled the Exhibition, a prelude to the exciting time ahead over the next four months.