In January 1919 The Children's Charter was brought into effect.
This charter was created for the welfare and protection of children at risk in Tasmania.
This resulted in a home for vulnerable and neglected boys who would benefit from having a safe place to live and being taught skills to "get along in life".
It included a functioning farm with livestock, crops and large orchards.
The Northern Tasmanian Home for Boys ran as was envisaged until 1973.
In March 1920 Mr EB Genders attended a meeting to appoint the officers for a proposed state boys' home.
He was later elected as the vice president of the home's committee.
The home was to be located at his former property Glenara in Franklin Village on the outskirts of Launceston.
They were still short of several hundred pounds but managed to raise this through fundraising by December 1921, with the home costing £8000; £3000 went towards the purchase of the property.
On December 10, 1921, the Northern Tasmanian Home for Boys was officially opened by the Governor's wife Lady Allardyce, with 14 boys in residence.
Boys with criminal backgrounds were not accepted and it was understood the boys would be labourers and eventually gain employment in rural areas; they were not allowed to obtain secondary education for this reason.
Numbers grew and by 1928 there were 25 boys, this almost doubled by 1945.
This expansion required more space, and a fundraising drive began to expand the home itself.
It was thought that £10,000 would cover costs and a brochure with a plea from the then-Governor Ernest Clark called for Tasmanians to dig deep for a worthwhile cause.
After a few supervision hiccups Ivan and Deanne Filleul were placed as supervisors in 1928 and ran the home for many years, with the position then being filled by their son Vivian and his wife.
The home was made up of small group cottages, creating a family atmosphere for the children. Activities included sports, agriculture and domestic duties to set the children up to be productive and independent adults.
However, it wasn't all work for the children, trips to Mersey Bluff, camping and visiting groups such as the Deloraine Entertainers provided downtime for them too.
In 1973 the home changed its name to Glenara Children's Home and began taking girls with money raised to build additional cottages to cater for the new intake.
An annual Glenara Gown of the Year award raised almost $3000 towards the cost.
By the 1980s the home was floundering financially and eventually closed in 1982.
In 1983 the building re-opened as a work readiness training facility, again providing services to young people to help them gain skills towards employment.
In 2004 Glenara underwent major changes to reopen as Glenara Lakes Retirement Village as it is now.