Sixteen fuel reduction burns have been planned for the City of Launceston council municipality.
The burns will start next week and are expected to continue through until May, weather depending.
Burns will occur at:
- Merthyr Park, Lilydale
- Machens Reserve, Kings Meadows
- Salisbury Crescent, West Launceston
- Meadow Ridge Reserve, Kings Meadows
- Youngtown Regional Park, Youngtown
- Invermay silt ponds
- Cataract Gorge Reserve, West Launceston and Summerhill
- Russells Plains, Rocherlea
- Cambridge Street Reserve, West Launceston
- Punchbowl Reserve, Punchbowl
- Freelands Lookout, Trevallyn
- Carr Villa Bushland, Kings Meadows
- West Tamar silt ponds
Multiple burns are planned at some sites.
Each burn is expected to take about one day to complete.
Detailed operational plans have been prepared for each burn, including smoke and dispersion modelling and risk assessments, the council said.
While fire intensity is expected to be low, burns may generate flames, smoke and ash which may persist until the next rainfall event. People with medical conditions are advised to have a personal plan for avoiding smoke from the burn.
Advice is available from the Department of Health and Human Services website or Asthma Australia website.
Notifications of scheduled burns will be updated on the council's website and Tasmania Fire Service website.
SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTERS HERE: