Doubts remain as to whether the NTFA representative team will face a competitive opponent when it meets the SFL at North Hobart Oval on Saturday.
Only six of the SFL’s initial squad of 40 will line up in the NTFA’s first representative game in five years after a lack of player support led to an overhaul of the South’s squad and coaching panel.
SFL president Madeleine Ogilvie said while it had been a challenging week, she was excited by the youth and talent in her side’s final 22.
“Despite the challenges we’ve had this week with long injury lists, the clubs of the SFL have pulled together and players have stepped up,” Ogilvie said.
“We also take seriously the real issues including participation raised by coaches and players around capacity.
“We understand rep games are a great Tasmanian footy tradition.
“It is important that all concerned play a constructive role in the development of capacity and frameworks around representative football.”
NTFA president Paul Reynolds said he was convinced proper action had been taken to address the SFL representative side’s issues but urged his charges no to show any mercy.
“I’ve been assured by SFL senior executive that they are really keen and enthusiastic and looking forward to it,” Reynolds said.
“So are we, we want to give a very good acquittal of ourselves and we hope we perform well.
“We can only play the opposition that’s out on the field.”
The senior match begins at 2pm.