Strikers blitz sets up thriller victory

Somerset's James Nettleton takes a tumble as Riverside's Todd Mitchell runs by during an at times heated contest yesterday. Picture: SCOTT GELSTON
Somerset's James Nettleton takes a tumble as Riverside's Todd Mitchell runs by during an at times heated contest yesterday. Picture: SCOTT GELSTON

DEVONPORT City blitzed Northern Rangers in the opening 45 minutes of its Victory League march at Valley Road, taking a 3-0 lead into the break.

Brodie Denehey got the Strikers' first, Callum Moore got the second and captain Kieran Mulraney headed the third in the 32nd minute.

Devonport increased its lead 10 minutes into the second half when Michael Holden beat Rangers keeper Marshall Pooley one on one.

Shane Brassington volleyed a goal back for Rangers in the 64th minute and provided the cut back for Adam Edwards to make it 4-2 in the 81st.

The forward got his second in the 89th minute to make it 4-3 but Devonport held on for a thrilling win.

Glenorchy Knights got their first win of the year against Launceston City, winning 6-2 at Mitsubishi Park.

Jayden Hey got Knights' opener and Callen Griffen got their second. City captain Nathan Bartlett pulled one back for the home side to make it 2-1 at the break.

Knights kicked away from City after the restart, adding four more goals to City's one.

Kingborough Lions caused the upset of the round, scoring a last-minute goal to beat Tilford Zebras 3-2.

Joel Schuth opened the scoring for the Lions to take a 1-0 lead into the sheds, but Zebras hit the front after the restart through goals to Alex Leszczynski and Adam McKeown in the 48th and 61st minutes.

An own goal made it 2-2 in the 70th minute before Seung Yong Jin got the winner in the 90th minute.

Ladder-leader South Hobart opened the scoring against Olympia through Andy Brennan at the back post in the 10th minute and doubled its advantage from a Brayden Mann free kick 17 minutes later.

Olympia was reduced to 10 men when Alex Ralph was sent off after getting his second yellow card in the first half. Nick Morton scored in the last minute of normal time to register a 3-0 win.

In the Northern Premier League, Riverside Olympic had a 2-1 win against reigning champion Somerset at Windsor Park.

Nick Meldrum scored in the opening 15 minutes for the home side from a free kick deflected off a Somerset defender but got sent off with 10 minutes to go in the first half for a studs up sliding tackle.

Olympic went 2-0 up after the restart through Chris Wademan after Somerset's keeper, Chris Smith, was caught on the counter when he came up for a corner kick.

Smith continued to involve himself in attack and scored from a direct free kick just outside the box.

Riverside keeper Jason Krushka had a day out in the sticks, making several sublime saves.

Devonport City scored four times in each half to beat Prospect Knights 8-3 at Valley Road.

Among Devonport's scorers were Daniel McGinn, who got four, and Kamil Douglas, who got two headers from corner kicks. Nathan Butler got two for Knights while Rhys Kinslow netted Knights' opener.

Northern Rangers had a 2-1 win against Burnie at Montello after scores were locked 1-1 at the break.

Gabriel Tams scored for Rangers while Stuart Batt got Burnie's goal. Tams netted the winner in the second half.

Ulverstone had a 2-0 home win against Launceston United.

RESULTS - VICTORY LEAGUE: Hobart Zebras 2 lt Kingborough Lions 3, Launceston City 2 lt Glenorchy Knights 6, South Hobart 3 d Olympia 0, Devonport City 4 d Northern Rangers 3.

NORTHERN PREMIER LEAGUE: Riverside Olympic 2 d Somerset 1, Burnie United 1 lt Northern Rangers 2, Devonport City 8 d Prospect Knights 3, Ulverstone 2 d Launceston United 0.


Discuss "Strikers blitz sets up thriller victory "

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.