Bradman Best says last year's finals run inspired him to put money on the backburner and reject interest from elsewhere to re-sign with Newcastle.
Best inked a new three-year deal with the Knights on Tuesday, locking one of the hottest free agents on the NRL market in until the end of 2027.
After attracting interest from the likes of Wests Tigers and other clubs in recent months, Best said he was ultimately won over by the desire to find success at his junior club.
In doing so, the 22-year-old took less money to stay at the Knights than what was on offer elsewhere.
The centre's signing comes after a career-best year last season, where his combination with Kalyn Ponga on the left edge helped propel a finals charge.
"That's one of the big reasons I stayed, (to win a premiership)," Best said on Tuesday.
"I want to do something special with this club and be a big part of it. Last year when we went on that run, the buzz around the community is special.
"I didn't want to leave when I could feel something brewing here. Last year was definitely special and I just want to build on that.
"There is definitely more to it than just money.
"Money comes and goes, but memories you cherish forever stay with you. This club means a lot to me and so do the boys. I love it here."
A Newcastle junior since age 13, Best scored 13 tries in 25 games last year.
It prompted NSW selectors to call him up for the third Origin clash at Accor Stadium, where he scored a double on debut for the Blues.
That only served to add to questions over his future with the centre admitting at one stage he did consider being lured out of Newcastle.
"You want to know what you're worth," Best said.
"My manager went out there and did his job. You speak to clubs, but deep down this club means a lot to me. It was my preference to stay here.
"I did think about (leaving), there were plenty of pros and cons. But at the end of the day you don't want to change what is not broken.
"I love the club and the boys here and I want to be a big part of the club's success in the next few years."
Best was made unavailable for this week's All Stars game in Townsville following a quad strain and will not play in the Knights' opening trial against Cronulla on Saturday.
But the star centre is not in doubt to start the season against Canberra on March 7.
Australian Associated Press