Adam Brooks looks no chance in next reshuffle

Former minister Adam Brooks looks no chance of being promoted in Premier Will Hodgman’s upcoming ministerial reshuffle.

Adam Brooks. Picture: Cordell Richardson.

Adam Brooks. Picture: Cordell Richardson.

Braddon Liberal MHA Mr Brooks has been effectively barred from a return to the ministry since mid-2016, pending an audit of an email account.

The audit has been delayed since that time, which the government said was due to matters relating to Mr Brooks’ divorce.

Labor Shadow Treasurer Scott Bacon said Labor understood there was nothing now preventing the audit going ahead.

Fairfax has heard from various sources the divorce and settlement are complete.

Mr Brooks, who has said he wants the audit completed, said on Monday there were still matters regarding the settlement to be resolved.

The reshuffle has been forced by the sudden resignation of state growth minister Matthew Groom.

His portfolios and those of gravely ill Attorney-General Vanessa Goodwin will be redistributed among Liberal MPs.

Mr Brooks ran into trouble when he gave incorrect answers to Mr Bacon in an estimates hearing in June last year about an email account with Mr Brooks’ mining services company.

He corrected the record, but resigned from the ministry, with Mr Hodgman saying his answers had contributed to a perception of conflict of interest.

Mr Brooks, who recently told Fairfax he was not listening when the fateful questions were asked, has said  there was no actual conflict.

On Saturday, Mr Hodgman said Mr Brooks had been cleared of any real conflicts of interest, but had been hindered by personal circumstances which would need to be addressed before he could return to the ministry.

This story Brooks looks no chance in next reshuffle first appeared on The Advocate.