$50,000 NW house fire 'accidental'

The Tasmania Fire Service has warned people to be vigilant using candles, oil burners and cigarettes following a $50,000 house fire at Sheffield on Thursday morning.

Emergency services were alerted to a house fire in Dyer Court about 1.50pm on Thursday.

Crews from Sheffield, Railton and Devonport attended the blaze.

After entering the property, firefighters confirmed that no one was inside the property. The fire was contained to the kitchen area and quickly extinguished.

After an initial investigation, the fire has been ruled as accidental.

The TFS has warned people: 

  • Do not smoke in bed
  • Dampen cigarette butts before putting them in the rubbish
  • Use a child resistant lighter
  • Butt out in a deep-sided ashtray or metal container filled with sand
  • Store matches and lighters out of children's sight and out of their reach
  • Make sure your candles are on properly designed candle holders
  • Don't go to sleep when a candle or oil burner is alight
  • Do not put candles or oil burners near windows; bec areful, curtains can catch fire easily
  • Do no place lighted candles where they can be knocked over by children, pets or anyone else.
Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop