The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe thunderstorm alert for the state's south - warning of heavy rainfall and large hailstones.
The bureau says that thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfalls, which could lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the Hobart, Oatlands and Richmond areas.
“(The) State Emergency Service particularly ask parents and carers of school children to take care when driving to collect children this afternoon and to ensure they go straight home and remain indoors until the weather eases,'' SES assistant director Operations and Resources George Cretu said.
The SES and Tasmania Police advise that people should:
- Supervise all children closely.
- Check that family and neighbours are aware of warnings.
- Manage pets and livestock.
- Clear drains and gutters on premises prior to severe weather arriving.
- Be prepared in case of power outages.
- Do not walk, ride or drive through flood waters.
- Beware of damaged trees and power lines and take care when driving.
- Listen to the ABC radio or check www.ses.tas.gov.au for further advice.
- For flood and storm emergency assistance, contact the SES on 132 500.