THREE Tasmanian men died of carbon monoxide poisoning after they used a refrigerator inside a sealed caravan, police believe.
The men, who were on a deer hunting trip in the Central Highlands, were found dead in the morning by a friend camping outside the caravan.
After finding his friends dead in the morning, that man put his nine-year-old son in his car and drove an hour until he had phone reception to report the tragedy to police.
The names of the victims have not been released.
One is a Launceston man in his 50s, his 21-year-old son from Hobart and a Launceston man in his 30s.
''There was strict instructions on this refrigerator not to use it in confined spaces,'' Inspector Lee Renshaw said.
''This is clearly a tragic accident that could have been avoided if the instructions were read.''
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.