A caretaker's house at the Longford RSL Memorial Club caught fire last night, leaving much of the building "completely destroyed". Tasmania Fire Services were alerted to the fire at about 6pm on Tuesday night.
According to details provided by the TFS, upon arrival fire services found the caretaker's house, which sits adjacent the the main club house, "engulfed" in flames.
Brigade chief Matthew Hateley said the caretaker was cooking with a barbecue on the house's back deck when the fire broke out.
"He's understandably shaken but he's been checked over by the paramedics and they seem happy with him," Mr Hateley added.
President of the Longford RSL Memorial Club Brian Harper said the caretaker has worked for the club for many years. "He's safe - that's the main thing," Mr Harper said.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.