There is not a single parcel of land within Burnie's CBD that would be suitable to house a new court complex.
That's according to Attorney General Elise Archer, who is doubling down on the state government's decision to relocate the courthouse about three kilometres out of the city centre into the middle of a residential, educational area.
Ms Archer said the Department of Justice's property and procurement team had been given the task in 2019 of investigating available Crown land within the CBD.
"None were identified," she said.
"Limiting the potential use of any existing building/site for courts is the need to provide controlled access to the variety of court users; including the public, staff, juries, judiciary, lawyers and correctional officers."
She said the department had also reviewed sites on the market for their suitability for a potential court complex.
"A number of sites for lease, mostly co-occupied were also offered, however no suitable sites were identified near the current court complex or within the CBD," she said.
No suitable sites were identified near the current court complex or within the CBD.- Attorney-General Elise Archer
The Burnie City Council on Tuesday will consider a proposal from Councillor Ken Dorsey, which will ask the council to begin negotiating with the state government to consider a privately-owned block on Burnie's Wilson Street, directly opposite the police station.
Melbourne-based architect Malcolm Elliott on Friday said he believed his land wasn't the only site that should be considered, and that the government should be prioritising keeping the courts in the CBD.
He said his block would be perfect for creating a "signature" building at Burnie's gateway, right near the highway and next the police station and council chambers.
However, Ms Archer wasn't convinced.
"The Department's project team consider the site at 100-102 Wilson Street to not be suitable for a modern, multi-disciplinary court complex with parking and room for expansion," she said.
"The complex on the UTAS site will deliver modern, fit-for-purpose multiple courts that will provide better access to justice across the civil and criminal jurisdictions for those in the North West."
Ms Archer repeated earlier statements about the existing Burnie court facilities, saying they were no longer fit for purpose.
"That is why, as part of the 2021-22 Budget, we allocated an additional $25 million on top of the original $15 million commitment to develop a new Burnie Court Complex," she said.
"Any redevelopment will need to go through the usual statutory planning processes, which will provide the community with an opportunity to provide comment about the proposed development on the site."
Ms Archer announced the decision to move the court in August 2020.
The Tasmanian Liberals had previously pledged $15 million towards redeveloping the current facility on Alexander Street at the 2018 state election.
The Burnie council is due to consider Cr Dorsey's motion on Tuesday evening.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.