A Blackstone Heights family struggling in Melbourne to secure life-saving treatment for their son may be stuck in the Victorian capital for even longer, following another hurdle in the two-year-old's treatment.
The family flew to Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital last week, so specialist surgeons could operate on their son Hudson, who has an abscess dangerously placed between his tonsil and carotid artery.
Despite surgeons attempting a third surgery to remove the growth on Monday, the abscess remains in place, leaving the family with fewer options and expecting a longer stay in Melbourne, which remains heavily locked down amid surging COVID-19 cases.
According to Hudson's mother, Britney Richards, doctors have said they are unable to safely operate on Hudson.
READ MORE: LGH co-location bid 'must be approved'
However, a recent CT scan of the growth has shown that it's reducing in size, giving doctors hope that Hudson's body can fight the abscess with the help of medication.
"So, the plan for now is to keep him on antibiotics and pain relief, and just constantly keep watch that it is shrinking," she said.
If the abscess continues to shrink, surgeons may once again try and operate, but according to Ms Richards, attempting another surgery now could be "way too dangerous".
With no end in sight for Hudson's recovery and both parents unable to work, the family recently turned to the crowdfunding website GoFundMe.
At the last count, 86 donors have submitted a cumulative $5300 to help support the family. The donations are continuing to help the family financially cope, while Hudson gets the treatment he needs.
When asked what she would like to say to those that have already donated, Ms Richards expressed her eternal gratitude.
"I don't like to ask too much from people, and we just didn't expect it at all. It's been amazing - absolutely amazing," she said.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: