South Australian Premier Steven Marshall says health and government officials are all "on the same page" as he moved to clear up confusion over a future easing of COVID-19 border restrictions.
Mr Marshall met with SA Health boss Chris McGowan and Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier on Tuesday after some mixed messaging on the state's plans for Christmas.
The premier last week raised the prospect of people from Victoria and NSW entering SA for the festive season without the need to quarantine provided they are double vaccinated.
But Dr McGowan cast doubts on that at a parliamentary hearing on Monday, telling a committee that he was "not aware of any health advice" that there would be no need for fully-vaccinated visitors to quarantine by Christmas.
Professor Spurrier appeared to tread a middle ground in a later media conference, saying there would be arrangements for double-vaccinated people to travel to SA, but some could face testing and some could still be required to isolate.
She said the situation was also dependent on virus numbers in Victoria and NSW and the level of risk to SA at the time.
On Tuesday, Mr Marshall said he had a close working relationship with Prof Spurrier and Dr McGowan and "we are 100 per cent on the same page".
The premier said while there would still be situations where people would be required to quarantine, for the vast majority it would be a normal Christmas. The double-vaccinated would able to come into the state provided vaccination targets were met.
"We've got to get to that 80 per cent double-vaccinated in the 16 and over first," he said.
"As soon as we are doing that we can end the punishing state lockdowns and also end those punishing state lock-outs.
"But it doesn't mean there won't be some people who need to have some quarantine if they've been to a designated hotspot or maybe they've been to an exposure site.
"All of those details are still being worked through."
Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said while there appeared some confusion between what was said by the premier and Dr McGowan, the pair were not "poles apart".
Mr Stevens said the requirements for coming into SA would be designed to ensure the state's health system was not put under undue pressure.
"It's just about being clear so people have a good understanding of exactly what it means for them," the commissioner said.
"There's not going to be one rule for everyone. But it's important that the work is done based on proper modelling and not just shooting from the hip."
SA reported no new virus cases on Tuesday and had seven active infections, six of which were acquired either in NSW or Victoria
Most have involved truck drivers, with one a fly-in, fly-out mine worker.
The cases have thrown up a number of potential exposure sites, including a Jetstar flight into Adelaide on Sunday and a city hotel.
Also on Tuesday, a 42-year-old Victorian man was taken into custody at an Adelaide quarantine hotel and charged with failing to comply with a direction under the Emergency Management Act.
He was refused police bail and was expected to appear in Adelaide Magistrates Court on Wednesday.
The man's young daughter, who was also in hotel quarantine, was placed in the care of SA Health.
Australian Associated Press