An open fire place was the cause of a fire that destroyed a house at Ridgley on Tuesday morning.
The fire occurred at a property near the intersection of Ridgley Highway and West Mooreville Road and was started by burning timber rolling from an open fireplace.
Fire crews from Burnie, Somerset and Ridgley arrived at the property shortly after 5am to find the house well alight and the occupant of the house requiring first aid treatment for smoke inhalation.
READ MORE: Ex-Labor candidate fined for driving drunk
"Investigations concluded that a spark or timber had rolled out of the fireplace and ignited the floor," Tasmania Fire Service fire investigator Wayne Viney said.
"TFS recommends open fireplaces are never left unattended or burning through the night and ensure there is appropriate protection such as a fire guard to prevent logs from rolling out.
"Thankfully the occupant woke up and was able to escape the house without serious injury."
A man could consider himself lucky after escaping his Ridgley home that was destroyed by fire.
Emergency services responded to reports of a fire near the the intersection of Ridgley Highway and West Mooreville Road about 5am on Tuesday.
Tasmanian Fire Service fire investigator Shayne Andrews said the occupant was asleep inside and is very lucky to escape the fire.
READ MORE: Future of Festivale hangs in the balance
"Units from Burnie, Ridgley and Somerset attended and found the house well alight upon arrival," he said.
"By then, the occupant had got out of the building.
"Unfortunately, it is going to be a total loss this building."
Mr Andrews said investigations were in the early stages, but ruled out the fire being deliberately lit.
"We have an area of interest but at this stage we can't say anything more," he said.
"There is nothing to suggest it's anything but accidental."
The occupant of the house was taken to North-West Regional Hospital with smoke inhalation. However, he was back at the property soon after to help with the investigation.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: