The sound of laughter and smell of sizzling food is set to take over Hobart's waterfront once more this summer.
Previously cancelled by the City of Hobart in 2020, and no longer owned by the council, the Taste festival is set to make a return - with new organisers, a new look - and a new price tag.
The Taste is now being put together by Pinpoint, a consortium of Tasmanians with experience in tourism, hospitality, events management, logistics and business.
Jarrod Nation, consortium chair, said this year's event would be the most Tasmanian Taste ever, with organisers promising to use the event to support producers, suppliers, stallholders and artists from around the state - a celebration of Tasmania.
"We're extremely grateful to the Tasmanian Government and the Hobart City Council for sharing our vision and supporting our plan to revive the Taste," he said.
"We know that the community, as well as many producers and many businesses right around the State have done it tough since the COVID outbreak.
"This is our chance to bring the whole community together, celebrate Tasmania and support each other."
Mr Nation said the Taste would be all about showcasing as many Tasmanians and their businesses as possible.
"I know that many of us can't wait to connect with friends and family at the Taste and share some amazing Tasmanian food and drinks on a warm summer evening and that was one of the key reasons why the team has worked so hard to put this plan together," he said.
"We will work with Public Health to ensure the event is COVID-safe and that may mean a slightly smaller Taste than in previous years. There is no doubt that is going to create some challenges, but we're excited about bringing back the Taste.
"We will make sure the revamped model will more than make up for any COVID restrictions and we will be encouraging patrons to go out and explore the local businesses around the waterfront as well."
The format will be similar to previous years with some aspects changing - including the introduction of an entry price.
"We want the Taste back for good, so we need to put it on a sustainable footing," he said.
"While the Tasmanian Government and the Hobart City Council have been very supportive, we can't expect taxpayers and ratepayers to foot the entire bill.
"I think most people would agree that an entry price is a sensible and fair way to share the cost of running the Taste.
"We are trying to keep the price as low as possible and once we work through capacity restrictions with Public Health we will have more to say."
Mr Nation said stallholder details and other opportunities will be announced in coming weeks.
The festival will run between December 28 and January 3 at PW1 in Salamanca.
What do you think? Send us a letter to the editor: