As COVID-compliance parameters tighten up with case numbers swirling interstate, there have still been no fines or infringements issued to COVID-rule breakers.
That is despite an increase in reports of non-compliance to Tasmania Police over the past fortnight and the permanent establishment of a dedicated COVID-19 response team.
READ MORE: Two killed in 'horrific' Midland Highway crash
A Tasmania Police spokesperson said though there had been an increase in non-compliance reports, it was not inconsistent with previous observed trends when border closures were announced or public health directives changed.
Workplace Safety and Consumer Affairs Minister Elise Archer announced the permanence of the response team and said it was helping businesses with government imposed COVID conditions.
After that deadline, people attending an increased number of Tasmanian businesses and venues will need to check in or risk being at odds with state public health advice.
The COVID-19 response team has been formed within WorkSafe and will comprise of six inspectors spread across the three regions of Tasmania.
Ms Archer reiterated a government approach to compliance management of prioritising education over condemnation and said that was what the inspectors would be aiming to achieve.
"Inspectors continue to take an educative approach to compliance, particularly where genuine attempts are being made by businesses to comply with applying appropriate controls," she said.
"Pleasingly, to date there has been little need for a directive approach to be taken with notices only being issued where there is elevated risk and/or repeated non-compliance."
Ms Archer said the team had been operating since May 8, but had now been made permanent.
Since it was established WorkSafe Tasmania had inspected over 3900 workplaces to ensure they were COVID-safe.
The Tasmanian border has since closed to Victoria, but for a brief period of time it was allowing Victorian travellers who entered Tasmania after July 8, but had not been to a high-risk premises are required to wear a face mask in public and reduce interaction with the community.
Despite this mandate it was revealed on Monday three Victorian riders who were participating in a horse race in Hobart were not wearing masks.
A spokesperson for the Office of Racing Integrity said the office was aware of the three riders and that they had been asked to leave the race meeting "for the health and safety of all participants".
The spokesperson said Tasracing had COVID-safe operating procedures in place as well as check-in requirements and COVID marshals at all race meetings.
"ORI expects all racing participants to adhere to public health requirements for the safety of attendees and best interest of the entire racing industry," they said.
"ORI is working closely with Tasracing and public health and will consider whether any stewards' inquiries are appropriate in relation to this matter."
What do you think? Send us a letter to the editor: