Premier Peter Gutwein has announced people living in regional Victoria will be able to enter Tasmania after midnight on Thursday.
Mr Gutwein said the decision was based on advice from Public Health Services, which recommended the area be downgraded to a low-risk destination.
He said metropolitan Melbourne, which included 31 local government areas, would remain high-risk after residents came out of their fourth stint in lowdown.
Mr Gutwein said it was unlikely those areas would be downgraded to low-risk until after the June long weekend.
IN OTHER NEWS: Man drowns in Tamar River tragedy
He said residents from metropolitan Melbourne would not be able to enter Tasmania unless approved as an essential traveller.
An essential traveller from this area needs to undertake 14 days mandatory quarantine at a suitable premises or government hotel.
Mr Gutwein said 30 per cent of Tasmanians were eligible to receive the COVID vaccine as the state approached the end of week 16 of the rollout.
IN OTHER NEWS: How small businesses are being targeted by scammers
He said 19,000 vaccinations were administered last week across the state.
Mr Gutwein said there were 35,000 forward bookings for vaccinations over June with bookings still available.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
Follow us on Google News: The Examiner