Few players can waltz into senior football and make an instant impact.
With bags of four and three in his first two outings, North Launceston small forward Brandon Leary is certainly putting himself in that category.
Celebrating his 18th birthday on Thursday, the former George Town and Tamar Valley junior was on the end of a big rap from coach Brad Cox-Goodyer.
"It's really exciting to find guys like that because he's going to hold his spot now - he's playing phenomenal football," Cox-Goodyer said.
"He's bringing something different and he's one of the quickest people I've ever seen on the football field.
"He's got some really good goal sense ... he's definitely a find for us."
Sitting at 4-2 ahead of Saturday's trip to Glenorchy, the Bombers have made three changes with Tom Donnelly (VFL), Lockie Mitchell and Theo Ives all out.
Oscar Van Dam is in for his third game of the season, Ollie Sanders his second game, and 19-year-old ex-Devil Harvey Griffiths his first after crossing from Launceston at the end of last year.
"He's had some great performances in the development league and he's got a senior-ready body so we're really excited to see what he can bring to the table," Cox-Goodyer said.
"He plays on ball in the DL, but we'll play him on the wings and through half-forward and potentially look at getting him on ball because he's a strong boy."
MORE SPORT: Hawthorn has more to give, says Sam Mitchell
Glenorchy responded to a 148-point Launceston thumping by keeping North Hobart to three goals last week, but have again lost big-name players with Tom Cleary out and Zac Webster named as an emergency.
The Magpies are third-bottom six rounds in, but the performance of ex-Collingwood listed tall Darrean Wyatt last round alone (41 disposals, 16 marks) has Cox-Goodyer wary.
"I know a lot of people wrote them off at the start of the year but we certainly weren't one of them - it just shows when they've got their experience around the group what they can do," Cox-Goodyer said.
"Wyatt had a pretty big game ... a 200cm bloke running around as a midfielder is pretty tough to stop."
GLENORCHY v NORTH LAUNCESTON
KGV, 1.30pm Saturday
- B: N. Blowfield , B. Bester, D. Brown
- HB: D. Joseph, C. Goodsell, C. Meredith
- C: L. Nicholson, S. Rundle, B. Simpson
- HF: C. Daly, D. Wyatt, A. Roberts
- F: M. Dilger, B. Webb, M. Joseph
- R: J. Deegan, J. Geard, B. Kamaric
- Int: I. Manson, J. Meredith, R. Oakley, B. Patterson
- Emg: R. Dilger, T. Turner, Z. Webster, J. Whitford
In: B. Patterson, C. Goodsell, I. Manson
Out: N. Reibelt, T. Cleary, Z. Webster
- B: B. Van Buuren, C. Nankervis, R. Whitney
- HB: J. Foon, W. Edmunds, M. Stingel
- C: B. Leary, B. Cox-Goodyer, R. Sanders
- HF: H. Bayles, T. Bennett, N. Pearce
- F: J. Rushton, Z. Burt, O. Sanders
- R: A. Lee, J. Avent, B. Simpson
- Int: D. Chugg, M. Cossins, H. Griffiths, O. Van dam
- Emg: A. Bourne, T. Ives, L. Mitchell, B. Sulzberger
In: O. Van dam , O. Sanders, H. Griffiths
Out: T. Donnelly, L. Mitchell, T. Ives