Launceston's iconic Albert Hall is currently undergoing a $10 million upgrade.
The renovations uncovered the original electric switchboard, plugs and fittings installed 125 years ago.
When the pavilion opened in November 1891 it was lit by gas, but the Municipal Council had the foresight to incorporate electric wiring into the building, a few years before the Duck Reach Power Scheme came online on February 1, 1896.
Mayor Samuel Sutton was keen to see electric lighting installed in Launceston's municipal buildings.
During February 1896 lighting was installed at the police building, but as people did not wish to visit there, Sutton urged the Electric Light Committee to install new lighting in the Town Hall and Albert Hall as quickly as possible so that the ratepayers could see what they were getting for their money.
The City Electrician William Corin installed the electric lighting in the Albert Hall, replacing some of the original wiring.
To keep costs down the City Electrician's staff made the fittings. These included five central electroliers with fancy scrolls in the main hall, and lamps with plain pendants and fancy shades under the galleries.
By May 7, 1896, The Launceston Examiner reported that considerable progress had been made over the past weeks.
Two days later, with the installation now completed, a test run of the 96 lights throughout the Albert Hall delighted the conductor Mr WW Thornthwaite during his rehearsal with the Launceston Philharmonic Society.
He was particularly pleased with the lighting of the organ desk and chamber, and bellows room.
Mr Thornthwaite's concert on Monday May 11, 1896 was the first public entertainment held under electric lights in Launceston. It was hoped that the lights themselves would attract a large audience, but inclement weather kept some people away.
The Launceston Examiner described the concert as one of the most enjoyable for some time, and the electric light "looked bright and warm".
Over the following year many streets, homes, businesses, and public buildings throughout the city had electric lights installed.
During Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee celebrations in June 1897, hundreds of people poured into the city to see the Illuminations, many seeing electric lights for the first time. Numerous buildings were ornately lit with candles, oil, gas, and most brilliant and admired, electric lights.
The City Electrician and his staff had worked continuously from 4am on June 21 until 10pm the next day but could not put the finishing touches to some of the designs.
Unfortunately, the fairyland of coloured electric lamps strung between the Town Hall, Post Office, Public Buildings and Mechanics' Institute failed.
But the Albert Hall presented a magnificent display, festooned with electric lights reaching from various pinnacles on its roof to the dome.
To celebrate her 60 years on the throne, Victoria's name was up in lights above the crown over the main entrance, while one end of the building had "1837" and the other "1897", all lit up with electric lights.