An extension of Medicare-subsidised telehealth consultations until at least the end of this year has been welcomed.
However, GPs have warned that any rebate cuts will be felt by those most vulnerable.
This week federal Health Minister Greg Hunt announced that a $114 million extension of telehealth services would form part of the 2021-22 budget in May.
It means GPs, specialist and allied health providers will be able to continue conducting appointments via phone or video conference.
The extension to December 31, which also covers appointments with nurse practitioners, midwives and dentists, was due to expire on June 30.
Royal Australian College of General Practitioners Tasmania branch chairman Dr Tim Jackson said telehealth had become a vital part of the health system, but said doctors needed to see a long-term funding plan from the government.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"We're very thankful they have extended it. It's vitally important and it's really got us through the pandemic so far, and we are still not out of the woods yet," he said.
"Now we are calling for a long-term plan that would see the telehealth MBS item number funding to continue post-pandemic."
Dr Jackson said one problem identified with the extension was that the subsidies would only cover consults up to 20 minutes in length.
"It means people with things like mental health conditions, or elderly or people with multiple medical conditions that take more than 20 minutes to deal with ... even over the phone, won't be entitled to the MBS rebate."
Since March 13, more than 56 million COVID-19 MBS telehealth services have been delivered nationally to about 13.6 million patients, with $2.9 billion in Medicare benefits paid and more than 83.540 provides using the services.
In a statement, Mr Hunt said the government was continuing to work with peak bodies to "co-design permanent post-pandemic telehealth as part of broader primary care reforms to modernise Medicare and provide flexibility of access to primary and allied healthcare services".
Dr Jackson said while the uptake of telehealth in Tasmania had been significant, it would never fully replace face-to-face care.
"Some people don't even have enough money to put in their car to come and see a GP, but hey can pick up a phone and we can deal with most of their health problems over the phone and get them to come in, if and when we need to," he said.
"Most of my work is still face to face - probably 95 per cent of it.
"Definitely, there are some things you can't treat and diagnose over the phone, but there is definitely some things you can.
"So we think it's important to continue that doctor patient relationship, because we know people who have regular GPs have better health outcomes and also less expensive outcomes."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.