Premier, it's time to wake up
HOW can our government justify spending millions of dollars on UTAS Stadium when housing for people should be a priority?
I cannot believe the government can go ahead, but I have viewed the draft and they predict up to 40,000 people attending. Really? I was all for having a Tassie team in the AFL, but after hearing that sport comes before homeless I am appalled. This should not happen now.
I think other like minded people should protest and not believe this is a good thing. Wake up Premier, I like sports, but this is totally wrong.
Gloria Keshow, Newstead.
Top marks for staff
AFTER reading Dick James's letter (The Examiner, February 18), I am sorry his experience of aged care respite was less than my days here at Ainslie, Low Head.
From the office staff (who typed this letter for me), to the carers, nursing staff and leisure and lifestyle providers, all are smiling, happy and go out of their way to make our days full and interesting.
I haven't mentioned the meals, which are delicious and varied. Thank you kitchen staff. Top marks to Ainslie, Low Head.
Margaret Head, Low Head.
Privilege in perspectives
THE mayor and the council seem not able to be empathetic in relation to the needs of disabled people and the elderly.
The council has given up a lot of our pavements outside cafes and hotels, which in some cases give pedestrians hardly enough or no possibility to walk two abreast. The mayor also has suggested that we need to "look where we are going", but not all of us have excellent vision, like he is implying.
The disabled and elderly need to be considered in all decisions, not just shop owners. Also there needs to be regular inspections and even fines when shop owners and hoteliers breach the privilege that has been provided to them, that is two thirds and even more at times of our pavements.
Steve Jones, South Launceston.
Card causing more problems
I AM writing today to voice my opinion on the cashless debit card that is being trialled in Australia at the moment.
The card is designed to give the recipient access to only 20 per cent cash and the other 80 per cent loaded onto the CDC. This card is making life hard for those people already doing it tough. Stats from the areas being trialled have shown the card isn't working and is causing more problems than help. How can any company profit from the unemployed? This card should not be rolled out.
We have a guardianship and admin board for those that can't handle their finances.
Dannielle Luttrell, Launceston.
Contempt for Tasmanians
THANK you, but no thanks Jeff Kennett for your suggestion that Tasmania settle for a relocated failed AFL team (that is North Melbourne) as our very own.
Your suggestion is arrogant and shows the absolute contempt you and your fellow AFL presidents have for Tasmanians. If the AFL cannot afford 19 teams, disband one of the expensive money pit clubs in NSW or Queensland and replace it with a team from a genuine football state.
Jennifer Styles, Newnham.
A place for common sense
SO SOME people think they have a right to be infected and make others ill?
To have the rights and privileges of living in a society, people should respect others and part of that requires not being anti-social and/or a threat to the health of members in the society.
And claiming vaccinations are compulsory is misinformation anyway.
However, expecting immunisation from people in confined spaces like airplanes is only common sense.
But then common sense is not a priority for some.
John Coulson, Dilston.
Going against the facts
TO THOSE anti-vaxxers who demonstrated over the weekend, I would ask them to consider the 2,471,200 deaths worldwide that have occurred as a result of COVID-19.
At least 37,000,000 coronavirus vaccinations have been administered in several European countries, the US and Peru, with about 350 reported deaths occurring post-vaccination.
Those who died post-vaccination were either very old, had already contracted COVID or other serious illnesses.
Experts from multiple health authorities could not find causal links between the vaccination and deaths.
Further, daily infection rates overall have dropped 34 per cent since vaccination started.
That figure is certain to rise after second vaccinations and wider vaccination takes effect.
What the anti-vaxxers are doing is contrary to the hard data and is dangerous.
John Biggs, Mt Nelson.
NUMBERS SMALL IN COMPARISON
I WAS amazed at the huge numbers that turned out across the country to protest the roll out of the government's COVID-19 vaccination program.
I mean, in Hobart alone, there were more than 100 from across Tasmania, which has a population of more than 500,000 people.
Similar comparative numbers were involved in protests on the mainland.
In reality these minor protests are not representative of the national community.