Frankford, west of Exeter, was a late bloomer.
It was hilly, densely forested country, without the benefit of a road, and only the hardiest settlers could survive; people who had strong personal reasons for getting away from civilisation.
The earliest were perhaps John Wade and Tommy Jubb, arriving in the 1850s.
Wade was a former pirate, while the Jubbs were ex-convicts. Tommy's back was a mass of scars from floggings at Port Arthur, yet he and his wife Ann were the most decent, generous and honest people you'd ever meet.
As the 1880s began, land near town became scarce and British immigrants were directed to newly-released forest country along the often-impassable track inland from Glengarry. The area became known as Green's Creek Road, because it was on the track going to the settlement of Green's Creek at Port Sorell.
The new settlers weren't farmers. They were city men. Retired army officers from India, drapers, a bootmaker and even a former member of the London Stock Exchange.
The first wave included John Durand. He arrived from England in 1881, setting up the People's Store in Elizabeth Street, Launceston and a branch shop and residence in Frankford - the first store in the district. About the same time Sergeant-Major Edwin Kern came via Burma.
With the lack of roads, the settlement hugged the track and strung out over miles. It was inevitable that the interests of the easterners would not be the same as the westerners.
As more people arrived, Kern took up a petition for a post office. This was successful and Mr Durand was appointed postmaster from July 1, 1883.
Kern was furious. It was his petition and he expected to be appointed postmaster.
A furore erupted in the newspapers, dragging in the Postmaster-General. Residents split, with those in the east supporting Kern and those in the centre and west supporting Durand.
Mr Durand was bewildered. He'd offered to do the job for free, and had the only commercial premises. Seeking to avoid controversy, he resigned.
A petition was then taken up beseeching the PMG not to accept the resignation. The PMG agreed, backing Mr Durand. Strong words and veiled threats were flying.
Eventually the editor of The LauncestonExaminer put his foot down and refused to take any more letters or reports on the subject. It was unfair, he said, as Mr Durand was a public appointee and couldn't defend himself.
"You are alienating friends and injuring the district," he told correspondents sternly.
Mr Kern then retaliated by opening a second store for Frankford, in opposition to Durand. It wasn't well patronised though, and soon closed.
Frankford grew despite the fuss and gained a government school from the start of 1885. But the feuding continued.
Two churches and two public halls were built, for example, where they only needed one.