Health Minister Sarah Courtney has apologised for any failings within the Tasmanian Health Service that led to the alleged sexual abuse of patients in its care.
On Thursday Ms Courtney, alongside Premier Peter Gutwein, announced the government would commission an independent inquiry into paediatric nurse, the late James Geoffrey Griffin.
Mr Gutwein said since a review into the policies and processes within the THS was launched by the government last week, further information had been provided, and then referred to the appropriate authorities for assessment.
He said the government, with advice from Health Department secretary Kathrine Morgan-Wicks, agreed the most appropriate next step was to have an independent investigation into the matter.
- Probe into James Geoffrey Griffin 'should be independent'
- Surgeon accuses Tasmanian Health Service of being complicit in alleged crimes of paediatric nurse
- Class action lawsuit launched into Tasmanian Health Service
- James Geoffrey Griffin named as the LGH paedophile nurse charged in 2019
- Investigation, but no inquiry into child sex allegations
"The appropriate course of action is to have an independent investigation, to look at this matter and to ensure the processes we have in place are robust," he said.
"We will allow this investigation to take its course. We will not leave rock unturned.
"We want to get to the bottom of this. We want to understand what has gone on, and more importantly, we want to ensure that people have confidence in the systems we have in place."
The government has been under mounting pressure to launch an independent inquiry ever since Mr Griffin was identified as the individual at the centre of historic sexual abuse allegations.
Mr Gutwein said the government was taking advice on the most appropriate form the investigation would take, but said it would look at a range of issues.
They include complaints and processes followed in relation Mr Griffin and the broader mechanisms and procedures in place to ensure appropriate action is taken when allegations are made to any government agency or organisation.
"We need assurances that the safeguards we have in place today are the best they can be for our health system, and for those who utilise its services," Mr Gutwein said.
When asked why the inquiry wasn't launched last week when Mr Griffin was identified, or when he was charged last year, Ms Courtney said further information had come to light and "subsequent to that, this is the decision we have made".
She said the investigation had her and the government's full support and would have all resources it required to properly investigate the matter.
"We have clearly seen a failure, if we have seen these types of allegations happen here in Tasmania," she said.
"Anybody in Tasmania who has been the subject of abuse, I think our whole community has a responsibility to make sure they are protected.
"As Minister for Health, I absolutely apologise to any victim, both now and in the past, who has been impacted by anything that we can learn [from] and do better.
"I am committed to this process and I am committed to making sure that our systems in government are as safe as they can be."
The outcomes of the investigation will be released to the public, with further details around its scope and timeline expected in the coming days.
Mr Gutwein said the government recognised there were many employees within the THS and community more broadly who were concerned about the allegations.
"I am a father, I live in this community. My children were born at that hospital," he said.
"Obviously we need to take every opportunity we can to ensure the systems we have in place are robust and they are doing what they should be doing."
Any member of the public who wishes to provide information to the inquiry should do so via firstname.lastname@example.org.
National sexual assault support: 1800 RESPECT, Laurel House (03) 6334 2740 (Launceston), (03) 6431 9711 (Burnie and Devonport), Sexual Assault Support Service (SASS) on 1800 697 877.