A safe travel bubble between Tasmania and New Zealand remains on the cards.
Premier Peter Gutwein said opening up borders with New Zealand was discussed at the National Cabinet meeting on Friday.
"For obvious reasons (for) Australia, the circumstances changed in terms of Victoria and certainly New South Wales and those matters need to be worked through," he said.
"The two countries continue to speak.
"I would still be confident at some time in the future we would end up with a travel bubble with New Zealand."
In other news:
The office of NZ deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters on Monday said New Zealand remained committed to introducing a trans-Tasman safe travel zone as soon as it was safe to do so.
It is believed Mr Peters recently spoke to Mr Gutwein and reaffirmed NZ's commitment to Tasmania.
New Zealand is understood to be awaiting decisions from the Australian Government.
A safe travel bubble between New Zealand and the Cook Islands was expected to be announced but it has been put on hold.
Tourism Industry Council of Tasmania chief executive Luke Martin said discussions on the resumption of direct Tasmania and New Zealand flights had been well advanced before the COVID-19 pandemic.
"I would expect it could happen in summer and there will be a good market there which can grow over the next couple of years," Mr Martin said.
"But it will not replace our markets with Queensland and other states which we have to open as soon as we can."
Mr Martin said he hoped flights would go to Auckland.
The last direct flights in 1996 were between Christchurch and Hobart.