Arthur William Mayhead worked at the booksellers and stationers' firm of Hudson and Hopwood in Brisbane Street, Launceston for 16 years.
Then in August 1885, at the age of 28, Arthur bought John Ferguson's bookseller and stationer business at 105 Brisbane Street, in a single storey building between the Launceston Hotel and jeweller, J.S. Kerr.
In the following year, J and T Gunn built extensive additions at the back of the Launceston Hotel and also constructed the Granite Pillars on the other side of Kerr's jewellery shop at the corner of the Quadrant and Brisbane Street for the Mutual Assurance Society of Victoria.
By May 1895 J.S. Kerr at 103 Brisbane Street had given way to Miss Florence Roughley's 'costumiere' business, which in December 1897 was replaced by Mrs Frank Littler's Tasma Tea Rooms.
Mayhead's business flourished and The Examiner reported in August 1900 that "Mr. A.W. Mayhead has been marching with the times, and by annexation and conversion of the next-door premises doubled and materially improved his bookseller's and stationery establishment."
He now occupied 103 and 105 Brisbane Street.
The business included a circulating library, a newsagency, sold fancy goods and tickets to various entertainments and advertised that "all sorts of lithography [is] executed with neatness and despatch."
It's central location made it something of a hub in the city.
Then on August 3, 1902 Arthur died aged 45, but the business, carried on by two of his sons Charles and Percy, remained under the name of A.W. Mayhead.
Starting on June 15, 1903 the whole of the front of the Launceston Hotel was demolished and re-built by J and T Gunn to the design of J Martyn Haenke.
The Daily Telegraph revealed on September 1, 1903 that plans had been prepared for additions above Mayheads between the Launceston Hotel and the Granite Pillars.
"The block between St. John-street and the Quadrant will present a practically unbroken skyline, and form one of the most imposing blocks of buildings in the city."
Haenke also designed the two extra storeys above Mayheads as an addition to the hotel, and in sympathy with its architecture.
The Assessment Roll of October 1904 states that number 105 was "part used as residence" by the publican Annie Huston.
This impressive building now forms the entrance to the Commonwealth Bank.
In 1910 Mayheads reduced their floorspace to occupy 105 Brisbane Street only and in January 1911, Leonard Bender, a smallgoods manufacturer and retailer, set up a branch shop and refreshment room at 103 Brisbane Street.
The delicatessen moved to 68 Brisbane Street in September 1937.
On May 1, 1937, after 52 years, the Mayheads sold the business to Charles and Nellie Swanson.
The shop continued trading as the Central Newsagency with different owners until the lease expired in January 1951.
- Connect with Launceston Historical Society - facebook.com/launcestonhistory