By the end of the 1830s the seated congregation of St John's Church had reached its full capacity, being the only Anglican establishment in Launceston.
The options available were either to enlarge or build a new church at another site.
The second option was the preferred choice.
A piece of government ground at the north-east corner of Cameron and George streets was made available through the favour of the Lieutenant-Governor, Sir John Franklin.
First on this site had been a barrack for military use, then beside it a small Wesleyan chapel had been built in 1826 with a residence beside for their minister.
The Wesleyan Mission was short-lived; it has been said that the population was far too ungodly for conversion.
The chapel was sold to the government and used as a charity school and the teacher dwelt in the house.
After the government school, several private and public teachers made use of the buildings, and it was only in the late 1890s when the present Holy Trinity was built that the school was demolished.
The little residence was last to go in 1921 so that the choir vestry for the church could be built.
The architect for the first Trinity Church, James Blackburn, created a simple gothic design in 1842.
Blackburn was the only convict associated with the construction of the new church.
The contractor was Joseph Moir of Hobart and the labouring was carried out by paid freemen.
The church was dedicated to the Holy Trinity and opened in December 1842 but was not consecrated until April 1850 after the large debt had been paid.
William Lloyd Gibbon served as the first incumbent from 1842 to 1846; before 1842 he had been working with Dr Browne at St John's.
The new church's nave was 33ft long with five windows on each side, and a vestry and space for an organ were additions to the east side.
The church was built in six months at a cost of £7,700, to hold 500 persons plus a choir and clergy.
Moir modified Blackburn's design by altering the main entrance, deleting a tower of two levels and reducing the chancel area to one window's depth.
The congregation sat on plain chairs in horse-box-style pews and above these were galleries with chairs around three sides.
The church and organ were paid for by public subscriptions.
After several months using a number of loaned instruments the first organ was installed in late 1843.
It was of considerable size made by William Hobart, a watch and clockmaker of Charles Street, Launceston.
It cost £450 including insurance and installation.
Old Trinity served until the end of the century passed.
The old building, plagued with issues stemming from poor foundations compounded by the soggy ground, was demolished in June 1903 after the new church next door was opened in December 1902.
- Connect past and present with the Launceston Historical Society at facebook.com/launcestonhistory.