The emergency department at the Mersey Community Hospital is expected to reopen on May 31.
The ED was forced to close over a month ago as a result of the North West Regional Hospital coronavirus outbreak.
Coronavirus: All the latest updates on COVID-19 for Tasmania
Health Minister Sarah Courtney said the ED would reopen with operating hours of 8am until 10pm.
She said for this to occur said the MCH had developed a reset plan to ensure the continued safe delivery of services.
"We want to see these services recommence as quickly as possible, but we must do this in a way that is safe and appropriately supported," she said.
"Therefore before the ED reopens, there will need to be a carefully staged transition of services currently occupying the space, as well as a review of key policies to ensure safety and quality."
The MCH Reset Plan is staged to allow for the following:
- deep-cleaning of high-risk areas, including the ED, as they are vacated by patients;
- recruitment of additional infection prevention and control staff, to coordinate and support a range of training and monitoring activities to support MCH staff;
- rolling out the Resilience by Design staff wellbeing and peer-support program;
- more COVID training for staff, including PPE online training and face-to-face assessment; and
- reviewing ordering and delivery systems, including PPE, to ensure continued availability.
"Staff at the MCH will be provided with the opportunity to contribute to the implementation process via their local managers, who will be driving this process," Ms Courtney said.
"The community around the Mersey and the local staff at the site have been understanding throughout this time, and we are grateful for their support.
"I thank staff across the health system who have already begun implementing changes to their workplace in order to keep Tasmanians safe from COVID-19."
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.