Two major wards at the North West Regional Hospital have been closed to new admissions following a coronavirus outbreak.
The medical and surgical wards have been locked down after three health workers were confirmed to have tested positive, Chief Medical Officer Professor Tony Lawler said.
"In discussion with the acting director of public health yesterday, It was determined that appropriate measures would need to be put in place to limit the risk of further complications of the identification of infected individuals," Professor Lawler said.
Coronavirus: All the latest updates on COVID-19 for Tasmania
"As a result a determination was made that there would be no new admissions to the medical and surgical ward and appropriate hygiene and PPE measures would be put in place.
"It's obvious that this will have an impact not only on the capacity of the North West Regional Hospital, but a very real impact on the staff."
Professor Lawler said patients needing admission from the emergency department could be transferred to other clinical space in the hospital, to the adjacent North West Private Hospital, or to the Mersey Community or even Launceston General hospitals.
"There has been a recent downturn in emergency presentations in the state," he said.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"I think this is testament to the community's ... recognition of the stress that the health system is currently under.
"Having said that we are exploring multiple avenues whereby we can maintain the capacity of the North West Regional Hospital."
The new measures follow investigations over the weekend into three cases of infection among NWRH staff.
Director of Public Health Dr Mark Vietch said about 18 other staff had so far been identified as close contacts of the first two cases on Friday.
He said more than 3000 tests had been performed through the public provider in Tasmania so far.