The AFL landscape in Tasmania remains at a standstill.
The Premier understands Hawthorn is considering abandoning all its Launceston home games this year.
But taxpayers, who fund the $19 million five-year deal that expires at the end of 2021, are not guaranteed to get a slice of their cash back from the club.
North Melbourne could also follow suit over a further four matches scheduled for Hobart and break its contract with the government-owned ferry operator TT-Line.
"The Tasmanian government is considering its position and we will look to have further discussions with the clubs and the AFL," Premier Peter Gutwein said.
The distinct possibility of no football games at either end of the state comes on the back of the coronavirus pandemic that has forced the AFL to reduce its season from 22 rounds to 17.
The two Melbourne-based clubs would otherwise lose two or three of their MCG or Docklands games should they honour their agreement.
Both Hawthorn and North Melbourne did not respond to a request from The Examiner for comment on Monday.
ELSEWHERE IN SPORT:
Wiping the fixtures would be the first time since St Kilda joined the Hawks in 2003 that UTAS Stadium will not host four matches, but also the first time since 2000 that no AFL matches had been played in the state.
The government initially locked down the state over interstate travel that required visitors to undergo quarantine for 14 days on arrival.
"Tougher border measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus will likely impact the capacity for the games to be played in Tasmania in 2020," Gutwein said.
"The government is working with Hawthorn and the AFL on what options might be available for Tasmania.
"However it is very unlikely these games will process."
That has since been supplanted by the AFL's decision to postpone its competition.
Gillon McLachlan also announced that AFLW was cancelled, affecting Launceston trio Daria Bannister, Abbey Green and Mia King directly.
The Kangaroos were on top of their conference and poised for the grand final when the season ended.
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.