Tasmania's push to get a team in the AFL is not over or slowed because of the coronavirus, says the Tasmanian Football Board.
Board chairman Jim Wilkinson said there was no doubt the AFL would take a massive hit to its finances because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The AFL has suspended the season until May 31 in response to the coronavirus.
"The AFL will lose a lot of money but it will bounce back quickly," Mr Wilkinson said.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"We've said we're aiming for a team in 2025 and rather than panic and make predictions, we should continue the work we are doing.
"The message is be patient and everyone is doing what we can."
Mr Wilkinson said work would continue to "broaden our base and make football accessible for everyone".
"Our participation rate in junior ranks is improving and going extremely well," he said.
The North Melbourne next generation program had grown to 151 schools statewide.
Mr Wilkinson said there had been some promising comments, including from Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, who had said "the time is there" for a Tasmanian AFL team.
However, Mr McGuire went on to say that it had gone because of the coronavirus.
"I hope there is not a delay, we just have to keep going," Mr Wilkinson said.
"We could easily fit into the 2025 roster and we wouldn't forever be putting our hands out to the AFL for help."
Some Tasmanian football sources are concerned that with the massive hit - in the order of millions of dollars because of the coronavirus - that Hawthorn and North Melbourne might want the Tasmanian Government to keep supporting them.
Sign up to one of our many newsletters: